Thursday, November 9, 2023

Hours 22 & 23: The Descent

I could really do with a place to store all of the miscellaneous items, weapons, and books that I don't wish to part with. Tharon-Zul has gathered many ancient and rare artifacts on his travels and at heart is a vain collector of rarities and trifles - Dragon Priest masks, for example, and gems. I thought such a location was open to me once I became the Arch-mage and inherited his quarters, replete with storage chests and the like, but an online investigation has left me unconvinced that this location is truly safe to store items. More investigation reveals that I can inherit Severin Manor in Raven Rock for free once I've done a few more quests, so I set about it.

I first track down some contraband wine for Captain Veleth. On my travels I'm beset by three of Mogrul's 'thugs' - the Orc who thinks I owe him money. Strangely, before they can attack me, they're intercepted by a passing guard patrol. A fierce fight ensues, and the 'thugs' are slain, but not before taking out four of the guards:

One of the slain guards is out of shot. I'm not sure how much stock I can now put in to these supposedly 'elite' Redoran Guards if three 'thugs' are able to take out four of them...

Next, I help out an old ex-miner to discover the truth about the death of one of his ancestors and reveal the secret of the closed-down Raven Rock ebony mine, which is, to absolutely no-one's surprise, that it houses a forgotten Draugr tomb complex. I've been impressed with the design and variety of the Draugr tombs and barrows that I've delved into so far, and this one's no exception. It's a tough slog as it houses a lot of Draugr Death Lords, extremely powerful adversaries who, as well as being superlative in combat, taking a lot of hits to take down, and having access to unlimited 'shout' powers, also rather annoyingly favour ranged combat with powerful bowfire, a single shot of which is enough to take me or one of my skeleton bodyguards out. At some points I enter chambers with 3 Death Lords and multiple Scourges; poweful Draugr ice-wizards wielding double-handed swords.

After a lot of re-loads, however, I reach an awesome chamber with an enormous glowing red runic door which can only be opened by slicing at it in a certain way with the Bloodskal Blade, a magic sword I found in the tombs. I then have to face down a surprise Dragon Priesyt, Zahkriisos. Wasn't expecting that, and it turns out to be very difficult fight. Once I've defeated him, I also discover a third Black Book of Mora! I enter Apocrypha, but this time the realm is exceedingly short, unlike like the previous two books, and I reach the end after only a few minutes after a difficult battle against some Seekers. The rewards at the end are fairly minor, and I choose one which causes each skill increase from reading a skill book to be doubled.

Finally, I have to fight my way past some bandits once I exit the tomb complex, in a crumbling area reminiscent of Valtheim Towers on the mainland. I find some pretty cool-looking armour which I've never seen before:


I love that Solstheim added so many unique items and enemies; if I were a combat character, I'd definitely make use of this armour. 






No comments:

Post a Comment