I return to Kolbjorn Barrow at the request of Ralis, to see what he's dug up - or if I've simply been fleeced. To my surprise, he's unearthed an Ancient Nord tomb, but needs help clearing it of Draugr. It turns out to be a very short dungeon with a hidden chamber in the back, which I open by removing a grisly skull, to reveal some pretty awesome Waterwalking boots.
A gruesome scene
Ralis then asks for a payment of 2000 more gold to continue the excavation, since all the previous miners were killed by Draugr. I pay up as I'm intrigued to see what more can be discovered. I also quite like the gradual nature of the quest - instead of just another barrow to explore, it's revealed bit by bit over time. I'll wait to hear more from him.
Right outside the barrow is a deposit of Heartstone, and I remember the wizard at Tel Mithryn asked me to find some for him, so I dig it up and return to him. He pays me 250 gold, which I suppose is handy as that's how much passage to the mainland costs.
On returning to the Raven Rock dock, I'm threatened by an Orc who was owed money by the apprentice I found for the wizard. As he can't get the money back now, he's transferred the debt on to me (1000 gold). I can't attack him without attracting the attention of the town guard, so I decide to leave him alone for now and deal with him when I return from the mainland. With that, it's back to Windhelm, I go!
When I arrive at the mainland, I decide it's high time for another assault on the Mythic Dawn in Dawnstar, to loot some more Daedric gear. This time there's only one of them around, though, and I easily slay him. The city guard haven't forgotten my last attack, and I have to fight my way through a bunch of them. In the chaos and confusion, I accidentally kill an Orc who gave me a quest to seek out the Dawnguard vampire hunters, and the game then says I 'failed' the quest.
Blood in the Snowberries
After checking, I reckon I can still start that questline if I choose, though. I spend the next hour or so travelling around the northern part of Skyrim. I first make my way across the misty landscape to Solitude for the first time, where I seek out a wizard in the Blue Palace and pay for training in Destruction magic.
The mighty city of Solitude, high in the mountains
I then travel all the way back to a small settlement called Kynesgrove (it appears to be little more than an inn and a mine, in fact) and seek out an Alteration wizard for the training in Alteration magic, once I'd leveled up again from fighting wolves, bandits, and unfortunate wandering warriors. At one point I even come across two Vigilants of Stendarr, and slay both of them. I intend to find their headquarters and wipe the rest of their feeble cult out at some point. They foolishly put their faith in a deity other than Tharon-Zul, and shall be made to pay dearly for it!
Finally, after some research I learn that a good way to level up Alteration is through a Detect Life spell which I can find in the sprawling Ancient Nord ruins called the Labyrinthian (what a cool name). I trek all the way there, slaying a couple of Frost Trolls with my skeleton legion, but it turns out to be quest-locked. I don't feel like starting the Mages guild quests yet, so I'll have to leave this for another time.
As I left Kynesgrove, a courier found me and delivered a letter from Ralis, asking me to return to Kolbjorn Barrow. I'll head back to Solstheim, but not before I've traveled to Falkreath and found out what the Jarl there wants of me.



No comments:
Post a Comment