Sunday, November 12, 2023

Hour 36: Family Reunion

Just past the Dagon Shrine I come across Skyborn Altar and a Word Wall (I've collected quite a few Shouts by now, but as I haven't started the main quest yet I haven't been able to use them). I then decide to climb to the peak of the mountain I'm on, to get a better view. This takes an inordinate amount of trial and error, but I get there in the end:

Looking out towards the Throat of the World, the entire Plain of Whiterun can be seen, with Whiterun itself in the distance.

I return to Dimhollow Crypt and head inside. I battle through Draugr and Vampires until I reach an impressive central cavern. After solving a very simple puzzle, a hidden vault opens and a slumbering vampire steps out:

I think I just switched allegiances...

She asks me to escort her back to her home, which lies far to the west of Solitude. Katla's Farm is the closest place I've previously traveled to, so it's quite a trek from there (I've consulted online maps to try and get a sense of how far it's 'supposed' to be, and although map scales vary, I think it would probably be about a week's journey). On the way, we happen upon a small patrol of Thalmor. Remembering Ancano's threat against my nascent power and the Thalmor attempt on my life in Labyrinthian, I attack and slay the patrol without mercy. One day I'll strike at their Embassy as promised.

Eventually, we reach a small rowboat, which we take to a nearby island, where the mysterious vampire's home is revealed to be an imposing castle:


We enter and are greeted by her father, a vampire named Harkon. By way of gratitude for freeing his daughter, he offers to make me a vampire. Hmmm, perhaps Tharon-Zul was too hasty in his dismissal of the gift of vampirism? If it can augment my already prodigious powers, perhaps it could be worth trying. I stall my decision whilst I do some online research, but just as I'm reaching the conclusion that it wouldn't be worth it after all (the stymied magicka regen and increased weakness to fire would be rather annoying), Harkon decides he's had enough of waiting and makes my mind up for me, banishing me from the castle and casting a powerful spell to teleport me away. You can't fire me; I quit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment