Monday, October 30, 2023

Hour 5: Nightboat to Solstheim

Solstheim! It's here I'll cut my teeth, make my fortune, and acquire artifacts of unholy might. I arrive a lowly level 6 mage, and by the time I return to the mainland all Tamriel will fear the name Tharon-Zul! I arrive at night, and spend some time wandering around Raven Rock and enjoying the change of scenery:


When dawn breaks, I head out into the wilds of Solstheim, just to see what's out there. I come across powerful enemies very quickly, including Ash Spawn, Ash Hoppers, and Burnt Spriggans, all of which slay me with ease if I don't have my skeleton horde nearby to distract them and soak up damage while I constantly replenish their ranks.

I meet a Dunmer trying to start some kind of mining operation, but he needs 1000 gold to hire enough workers. He hints at a great treasure buried in the earth, so of course I must make it mine, and loan him the money. Afterwards I find his journal which he left carelessly lying around, in which he practically admits to having no idea if there's treasure or not. Oh well, I'll immolate him either way.

Continuing my travels, I come across a herd of these massive and bizarre creatures called Netches:


While their peaceful and should probably just be left alone to live out their days, Tharon-Zul can't permit them to live. They might possess some kind of power that I could absorb by slaying them. Initially I summon my usual skeleton warrior horde to battle them, but they're powerful brutes and smash my army aside before flattening me. However, I re-try with an entourage of skeleton fire-mages this time, and the barrage of flaming death makes short work of them. It turns out they didn't have any power for me to absorb.

I also run into a madman who rants about some kind of 'black book' which drove him insane. I'll have to investigate this further, as I could glean powerful knowledge from such a tome.

Eventually my wanderings lead me to the far side of the island from Raven Rock, where I discover a powerful wizard who lives inside a giant mushroom:


Speaking with him in his magical tower, as well as to his clumsy apprentice, sounds like it offers tantalising opportunities to become more powerful myself, bringing me one step closer to total dominion over all Tamriel. That's 3 promising leads in the last hour - it seems Tharon-Zul has definitely come to the right place.





No comments:

Post a Comment