Sunday, October 29, 2023

Hour 1: Mythic Dawn raid

I've started a new Altmer character in Skyrim called Tharon-Zul. He is hell-bent on acquiring as much power as possible in order to rule over all Tamriel with his summoned horde of evil. I'm using the same mods as Ilmiril ('Return to Skyrim') with the addition of a mod that increases summonables by 1 for each skill point added to Conjuration. Summons also don't expire unless slain.

In the dungeon of Helgen with the first member of my fledgling horde.

I'll forgo all combat, focusing only on magic, mainly conjugation and destruction. Tharon-Zul is destined to become the most powerful mage in Tamriel - he'd never sully his hands with crude physical combat!

After breaking out of Helgen, I remember from other playthroughs that the Mythic Dawn in Dawnstar have good robes and expensive gear. I head there immediately. On the way I defeat some ice-wraiths at the Weynon Stones, and come across a huge brawl at Fort Dunstad, which is littered with slain bandits and soldiers. I clear out the survivors and even find an inexplicably named one slain in his bed:


Eventually I reach Dawnstar and survey the small town from a vantage point on the battlements. The Mythic Dawn are based in the two buildings on the Eastern shore:

I approach and choose my moment. Having come here by the most direct route, I'm still level 1 and have never dared to take on this challenge at such a low level before. I'm hopelessly outmatched - my skeleton goes down in 1 hit, as do I, and I reload several times. I almost give up, but I then remember that I can use my Altmer power to increase magicka regen - something I've rarely used before. It proves to make all the difference, as I'm able to quickly focus down two Mythic Dawn members with a constant blast of Flames. I ransack their bodies and they're carrying a fair bit of Daedric gear and very useful jewelry, and I don their robes which increase magicka regen by 75% (better than the Black Mage robes from Helgen, which are only 50%). 

By this point, the local guards have intervened and start firing a hail of arrows in my direction, so I decide to quit while I'm ahead and flee from Dawnstar. When I'm stronger I'll return to wipe out the cult once and for all. The fools want to summon Mehrunes Dagon to the mortal plane once more, and since I intend to rule it, I can't let that happen...

I flee to the ice fields to the west of Dawnstar, and slay a pack of Horkers before stumbling upon the lair of a Frost Troll. Again hopelessly outmatched, after a few reloads I find a rock to stand on where it can't reach me, and am able to slay it with my Flames spell before it figures out a way to get to me. Pathetic mortal scum!

No comments:

Post a Comment